Sunday 30 March 2008

Just how dense are the Austrians?

Note the command stand on the right has been placed in the middle of the line. I chopped a strip of four in two and placed two figures on either side of the command strip. I like the flag to be in the middle- looks much better that way.

...so to speak. On the left, thirty-two miniatures, two lines on a 50mm x 50mm base (excess marked with yellow; all my bases are currently 60mm deep). On the right, three lines on a 50mm x 60mm deep base.   That's forty-eight figures.

I have to admit that for looks I like the latter; especially as in 1809 many Austrian regiments seemed to have fielded three battalions in the field- certainly this appears to have been the norm in Bellegarde's Korps.

The only drawbacks I can think of are two-fold. First, will having a deeper base than the French lead to problems once we start playing the rules? Secondly- and more significantly- it would be more figures to paint and more to buy. Still, it does look good.

I have in front of me now a whole bunch of bottle caps, each with a strip or two of Kaiserliks on them. Some have been primed black, and others white. I will see which way to go is the best and post the results this week, along with which approach is to be the winner.


5 comments:

Braxen said...

Hi Robert,

I am looking forward to seeing your tests with the Austrians. Actually, I wouldn't mind purchasing for my own use a few Austrians just for target practicing (and my painting pleasure).

I think the base depth as no incidence as long as we keep the same frontage. Wheeling should be ok, advance/recoil should be fine as well, however the only issue I could see is when two units are following each other base to base (one brigade following another one?).

Braxen said...

One other remark: with a 48 figures option, although it might look more "historical", you may have more a difficult time to pull out a diorama effect with skirmishers / officers / mounted officers / casualties.

It's hard to depart from it, but I'd go for what looks good in your eyes rather than trying to stick 100% to an organization that may or may not represent what "used"(?) to be.

Braxen said...

ahem, and lastly, you augment your painting time by 50%...

Robert said...

"ahem, and lastly, you augment your painting time by 50%..."

Heh! Don't I know it. But if I am going for mass effect, I may as well go all the way. That's the way I'm leaning right now, but I'll know for sure by the end of the week, when I'll post photos and grim tales of the painting experience.

Robert said...

"I could see is when two units are following each other base to base (one brigade following another one?)."

I would institute some kind of movement penalty to account for it- these are Austrians, after all!